History of the 14th century home
Dating back to the Middle Ages
The building housing the Freixera hotel dates back to 1300 when Sant Llorenç emerged as a settlement beside the road leading from the vineyards and Sant Llorenç de Morunys to the Travesset gate of the city. It was the first extension outside the walls surrounding Saint Mary’s Monastery and the Castle.
The original building, dating from 1300, was a simple worker’s home on a “gothic” plot, with two stories, an attic and a vegetable garden.
(1) The main facade of the building is cut stone with two openings of kiln-fired brick finished with a low arch, a balcony with a tiled arch and a porch under the roof with arches resting on square columns and finished with a decorative cornice.
At the entrance to the main door there are still remnants of the old drainage system that channelled water into the street. Last reformation: 1700-1800.
(2) The main nave of the building abuts neighbouring buildings with cut stone walls.
The southern wall must have once communicated with the neighbouring building through stone arches constructed with bevelled transoms and shaped voussoirs to allow the leaves of the doors to open.
On the same wall there are traces of a ceramic down-pipe with an inner lining of smooth glaze that channelled water from the upper level into a stone drain that led to the street.
Above the stone staircase are the remnants of a bench that was beside the fireplace on the main floor.
The main nave of the building was extended by means of a pointed cut-stone diaphragm arch that starts from the semi-basement: early Middle Ages.
(3) The main floor of the building is structured on stone pillars distributed along the dividing walls and which provide support for all the framework. These pillars rest on the stone walls and arches of the lower floor.
The spaces between each pillar are filled with masonry and lime mortar and reinforced with vertical wooden beams. The remnants of the wooden ceiling with panelling from the medieval period are still visible.
Stone scullery and niche decorated with plaster moulding and walls with the original reddish coloured paintwork.
Wall constructed from adobe mixed with lime, straw, pebbles, wood and stones of different sizes and compacted with moulding or formwork.
(4) The second floor of the building is also structured on stone pillars and fired brick with a wooden framework and rubble filling.
Running gallery or porch with arches resting on square columns with a decorative cornice.
Opening with pointed arch with carefully shaped voussoirs and bevelled transoms. This arch once communicated with the building next door.
(5) Remnants of brown, smooth glazed ceramic tiles (18th century).
(6) Remains of the sculpted capitals of the mullioned window of the main facade.
The archaeological excavations being conducted reveals medieval walls shattered houses , a drain stone cistern and stone medieval land where they journeyed to the Middle Ages